Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Trust and Obey

When Josh was a teenager he was called to the ministry.  He always felt that God would use him in his hometown, but things just didn't work out the way Josh thought they would.
My calling to become a missionary came when I was in college.  Of course life happend for both of us and we traveled down paths that we probably shouldn't have, but I am thankful for the roads traveled. They made us better people in the end.  Every experience was learned from.  Some were good, some were bad, but nonetheless, each one helped mold us and develop us into the people we are today.

Five years ago a new preacher came to our church.  This preacher had been a missionary and was very mission minded, which is great.  When he first came, I thought, ok God, here we go....
And the battle began.  God would speak to me and I would say, my mission field is my workplace. I am a music teacher.  I teach pre kindergarten- 1st grade, I coach the high school dance team and I teach 2 very special young ladies private voice lessons.
My students need me. I kept justifying. 

Josh was in the same boat as me. He kept making excuses. Where I love my job and all that I do, Josh's struggle was with being satisfied with what he was doing.  He has never been happy or content with the jobs that he has had.  He has been very successful with the things that he has done, but knew there was more to life.

In December of 2012 we were at church and a missionary was speaking.  He shared his testimony with the church.  It was such a powerful message.  Maybe not to everyone else, but Josh and I both felt that he was speaking directly to us.  When we got in the car after the service, it was quiet.  I finally spoke up and asked, "How long are we going to run?" Josh's response was, "I don't know".
So this led us to much discussion and prayer.  We both met with our preacher and shared our thoughts, feelings and heart with him.  He guided us in the right direction and God did the rest. It only took about a month for doors to start opening, but being patient is hard.  I know that a month doesn't seem like a very long time, but when you are making life chaging decisions, 4 weeks seemed very long. I think the best advice he gave us during that time was "You're never wasting time when you're waiting on the Lord".

I have been on such an emotional roller coaster since all of this has come about. I am nervous, somewhat fearful, yet there is a peace that pours over me when fear strikes.  I feel so honored, and humbled that God would call us, as sinful and unworthy as we are, He wants US.  I can't even describe that feeling.  What a blessing that we serve such a merciful and forgiving God.  I've been reminded several times that God doesn't call the perfect, just the willing.  That's us- we are willing.  Feeling crazy and thinking What in the world are we doing but trusting Him all the way.
Trust and obey for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment