Thursday, February 14, 2013

Bitter Sweet

Josh and I decided that we need to start letting people know what God is doing in our lives.  So we started with our families first.

I met with my parents and shared with them what all has been happening.  They have known that God has always stirred my heart to do mission work, so I don't think this came as a surprise, however...it's still hard....especially when there is a grandchild involved, the baby at that.  I am very close to my family and love them all very much.  I have a sister, 2 nieces, and 2 nephews.  I basically helped raise Spencer, Sarah, and Samantha.  Cody is the youngest and when he came along I was in  college, so I wasn't around as much when he was growing up, but he is still just as precious to me.  We always share long summer visits and Michaelina adores them.  My mother raised me to know and listen to God's voice. And Dad always encouraged me to be the best I can be. I am very thankful for the upbringing that I had.  I am definitely a Daddy's girl and he holds a very special place in my heart.  Even my mother will tell you that. :-)

Same thing with Josh's family.  The Bell's are a tight-knit family.  Mike,Tamara, Josh, and Sarah Jane-all very close.  Lucky for me, they welcomed me right into that circle and I love them for it.  They knew that God had a special calling on Josh's life.  His mother told me last year that Josh would never be content or satisfied until he was fulfilling God's calling.  She also said since the time he was 3 that God made it very clear that he was destined for special things.  Michaelina is their only grandchild right now and I think their difficulty comes from saying good bye to her, not necessarily us. No, not really, but Tamara (Josh's mom) said that she knew the day would come that Josh would leave, she just never thought there would be a precious 5 year old going with him.  Josh is almost 30 years old and has never left his hometown.  He has been on vacation and things like that, but he has never lived anywhere other than here. Where I am a Daddy's girl, he is definitely a Mama's boy (but not in a sissy way, he is just close to her just like he was with his Nana).

This will definitely be an adjustment for us all. Not only with imediate family, but extended family as well. We have some very special Aunts, Uncles, and cousins that we will also miss.

Both of our families are supportive and are even excited about what God is doing, but
all of our family and friends have lots of questions and are naturally concerned about us moving so far away.  We appreciate and are thankful for their caring hearts. I hope that we are able to answer their questions to the best of our ability and that God will do the rest to prepare them for our departure.

I wanted to tell everyone in the right sequence so that my work place and dance team would hear the news from me.  I talked with my principal first.  She was so encouraging and I appreciated the converstaion I had with her so much.  Ms. Hunley is actually the one who told me to start this blog.  I am a terrible writer, as I'm sure you have realized by now, and I wasn't sure where to start.  She told me that people would enjoy reading about how this transpired and to keep up with us.  So, thank you, Ms. Hunley for your encouragement.  I hope that our family and friends enjoy our story.

After talking with her, I talked with my superintendent.  He was sad to see me leave, but supportive, which I appreciated.  This has been such a fantastic year for me.  I was named Perritt Primary teacher of the year and then Arkadelphia School District Teacher of the Year.  What an honor!  I love my job, the people I work with, and most importantly my students.  Not only at Perrit but at the high school too. 

My Dance team is extremely special to me as well.  I call them mine because I have been with these girls for 5 years.  I started with them when they were in junior high and moved up with them when they entered high school.  We were competitive for the first time this year and they were fantastic! I am so proud of their work ethic.  They have risen above so many things and quite frankly, they are an inspiration to me.  Saying good bye to them was so difficult.  I feel like I have so much invested with them and it's hard to relinquish that control.  I want the next person to care about them and commit to them.  Stick with them through the stressful times, and cheer them on.  I know the girls will be fine without me.  They are a classy group of young ladies. They are smart, caring, mature, driven, and focused.  They all have a good head on their shoulders and know- when in doubt, look up.  They truly are an amazing group of young ladies and the next sponsor/coach they get will be very blessed to have them.  But I hope they all know how special they are to me and that I will be keeping up with them.  I will never forget them and the memories that we have shared.  I also hope they never forget to stick together-be 'nutty'/have fun, always be 'handi' to one another, don't be a 'dum dum' and always remember to 'cheez it'.  I love those girls and will always root for them! GO DAZZLERS!

Next I told the people I work with at school, my voice students (I'm gonna miss our talks Julie), the high school girls sunday school class I help teach (keep praying ladies and always look up! I appreciate y'all more than you know-this includes you Bailey and Abby) and friends.
Everytime I say it out loud "We are moving to Kodiak, Alaska to become missionaries" it makes it a little more real.  And that makes me realize how much I am going to miss being here. 

I know God has great things in store and I am so excited to be given this oppertunity, but long story short------
It's bitter sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment