Monday, June 10, 2013

The move to Kodiak, Alaska

Josh and his sister left two weeks before Michaelina and I. 

I didn't think that was going to be too bad,  but boy was I wrong.  I really struggled with the separation.  Josh was meeting all of these people and having these fun experiences and I felt so disconnected with everything that was going on. It was a busy two weeks for Michaelina and me but that didn't change the fact that my heart was sad from being apart from my mate.

Not only that but then it was my turn to say good-bye to our church family, friends, and family.  That broke my heart even more.  Even though I know that we are called by God to be here, I love everyone in Arkadlephia and my family so much.  It's hard to let go.  And maybe "let go" are not the right words to use, because I don't think I will ever "let go".  Arkadelphia is a big part of me and I am so thankful for the friends and connections I have made there.  The town has helped to mold me.
But I know I'll be back for a visit and we all know that it will ALWAYS be home for The Bell's! :-)

Josh and Sarah Jane left on May 22nd and Michaelin and I on June 5th.

My parents picked Michaelina and I up on Monday, June 3rd.  We went to visit my aunt in Dallas for a couple of days before flying out of DFW on June 5th.  We arrived in Anchorage that night at 7:05, but our bodies were telling us it was 10:05pm.  Michaelina was such a trooper. 
My cousin Jamie Sue lives in Anchorage so she picked us up and took us to this amazing pizza place called The Moose's Tooth.  SO YUMMY! There was an hour wait.  By the time we ate it was 9pm (felt like midnight to us).  Michaelina fell asleep at the table, poor girl.
Then we went back to Jamie Sue's place and got a great night's rest. 
We left for the Anchorage airport at 4:45 am and we boarded our plane at 6:20am.  Landed in Kodiak at 7:05 am.  Josh picked us up and got our luggage.

Of coures 2 bags were missing, but we got them the very next day!! Praise the Lord!!!

Also another big praise is that Kodiak is awful for having fog delays.  I asked everyone I could to pray for no fog Thursday morning and let me just say---God heard those prayers!!
Michaelina and I both were so ready to see Josh we couldn't hardly stand it.

So we arrived to our house and started unpacking.  We also recieved our first shipment of 17 boxes that day as well.  So I had my work cut out for me.  I got everything unpacked and situated and even had time to do some hiking. It really is so beautiful here.

We also have an eagle nesting in a tree outside our house.  Eagles are huge! When they are in flight they are so majestic.

For those of you who don't know- we are the house parents for all the college kids who are here to work the summer camps.  So far it's going great. Michaelina, of course, loves it.  She is always in the middle of every game or converstion taking place.  She has also made some new friends and even climbed the rock wall.

I'm going to try to figure out how to post pictures on the blog so that you can see.  I will tell you though, that the pictures of the scenery do not do it justice.  It is so beautiful here.  I hope you all have the chance to visit!

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, this is Judy Harrison, dean of Teachers College, Henderson. I did not catch you before you left, and this is the only way I know to reach you. To recognize and congratulate you for being Arkadelphia Teacher of the Year last year, we want to send you a gift. You can reach me at harrisj@hsu.edu so that we can communicate privately about how to send the gift to you.

    ReplyDelete